Saturday, December 19, 2015

An Ounce of Prevention...

I read an article yesterday about our health, and it stated that Ben Franklin was correct, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Stay out of hospitals, if you possibly can.   The care in the majority of hospitals in the U.S. is horrible, and you have a good chance of getting an infection while you are there.

When my Mother and b/f had all the problems with Drs. and hospitals, I would continually tell my friends about the problems.  This was not so much as complaining, but I felt more like the "town crier",  ATTENTION EVERYONE, STAY OUT OF HOSPITALS,  WATCH EVERYTHING BEING DONE, CHECK ALL MEDS.

And since that time I am sad to say I have heard too many stories which reinforce this concern.

So, take care of yourself.  Know your body.  I know no one wants to talk about this, but don't get constipated!   I had a friend (and know of a couple more), who had an impacted colon and almost died from it.   Think about how much you are eating, and think about how much should be coming out.

One of the best old fashioned products to use is Milk of Magnesia.   It draws water into the colon, and is better than taking a stronger laxative.  Also, stool softeners are probably the first "line of defense".  

Eating steel cut oatmeal is very good as well, but may not act as fast.    Eating even a few spoonfuls of cooked steel cut oatmeal every day will help.  You can find them in the health food aisle, and in some stores, in the bulk section.  Of course you must cook them, and that is a bit of a pain.  I usually cook up a big batch and then put them in the refrigerator.



No comments:

Post a Comment